Ashura comes from the root word Ashara - meaning 10 in the Arabic language and therefore, falls on the 10th of Muharram.
The great scholar, Imam Al-Ghazali RA, wrote in his Mukhashfa al-Qulub, Sayyiduna Umar ibn Al-Khattab RA was asked why the day of ’Ashura was considered so noble. Sayyiduna Umar ibn Al-Khattab RA listed a few events events that took place on Ashura:
- Allah SWT created the skies and earth on this day, along with the Preserved Tablet
- Allah SWT created Angel Jibril AS
- Allah SWT created Prophet Adam AS, as well as Hawwa (Eve) AS
- Allah SWT created the Heavens
- Allah SWT enabled Adam AS to live in Heaven
- The first rain to fall on earth was on ’Ashura
Significant events that took place on Ashura:
- Allah saved Musa AS and the Children of Israel on Ashura.
- Allah SWT forgave Prophet Adam AS for eating from the forbidden tree on Ashura.
- Nuh’s (as) ark landed on Mount Judiyy (modern day Turkey) on Ashura.
- The covering (Kiswah) of the Ka‘bah used to be changed on Ashura.
- Sayyiduna Imam Husayn Ali Ibn Talib RA was martyred in a brutal massacre by the Yazidi army in Karbala on Ashura.
Actions on the day of Ashura:
- Fasting on Ashura – Fast on the 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th of Muharram:
Ibn Abbas (RA) said, ’The Prophet (PBUH) came to Madinah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashura. He said, “What is this?” They said, “This is a righteous day. It is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies, so Musa (AS) fasted on this day”. He said, “We have more right to Musa (AS) than you”, so he fasted on that day and commanded [the Muslims] to fast on that day’. [Bukhari]
- Give Charity on Ashura:
Amr bin al-As (RA) said, ’Whoever fasts ‘Ashura it is as if he has fasted the entire year. And whoever gives charity this day it is like the charity of an entire year’. [Ibn Rajab’s Lata’if al-Ma‘arif]
- Give Gifts to your Family on Ashura:
The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, ’One who generously spends on his family on the day of ‘Ashura, Allah will be generous on him for the entire year’. [Tabarani]
No doubt this day is filled with lessons and blessings – make this a special day within your homes!